Position Description: Human Resources Director
JOIN (joinpdx.org) is a non-profit organization that exists to support the efforts of individuals and families experiencing homelessness to transition off the streets and into permanent housing. We are inspired by the vision of a community where everyone has a place to call home.
JOIN has an organizational commitment to equity and inclusion, and to ensure that programs and staff culture are equitable in both access, experience, and outcomes regardless of race, ethnicity, faith, culture, language, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship or immigration status, sexual orientation or family status. JOIN is committed to pursuing effective strategies and devoting dedicated time and resources at every level of the organization to address disparities based on identity and to apply an equity lens to all decisions, programs, and policies in furthering JOIN’s commitment to become an anti-racist organization, including dismantling white supremacy culture.
This position will have the primary responsibility for developing organization-wide processes and systems related to hiring, training, compensation and benefits, employee relations, workplace safety, and legal compliance with fidelity to our organizational commitments to anti-racism.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Foster a culture of employee appreciation and accountability at an organizational level
- Work with Director of Equity and Inclusion to approach all HR practices with an equity lens
- Coordinate hiring processes by posting open positions, conducting reference checks, supporting/coordinating interview processes, completing new employee packets, and maintaining personnel file
- Implement and execute the onboarding process, including coordinating 6-month check-ins to follow up with new employees
- Manage employee benefits enrollment and access
- Conduct quarterly staff satisfaction surveys. Identify strengths and challenges to ensure staff are receiving the support and professional development needed to be successful in their position
- Develop and manage a training/professional development calendar and track by employee
- Mediate and counsel in arbitrating disputes between employees and their supervisors. Counsel and advise the affected individuals on the use of the problem-solving procedure, which consists of a systematic approach to understanding, approaching, and solving employee/supervisor problems
- Support Coordinators and Directors in disciplinary actions. Maintain organization of all documentation and ensure timely accountability actions
- Conduct exit interviews and be responsive to feedback from departing employees
- Track changes to Oregon and Federal employment laws and policies and keep JOIN’s policy handbook up-to-date
- Occasionally assist JOIN’s development team with event preparation
Successful candidates will have:
- Experience as an HR Generalist in a workplace with more than 50 employees
- A 4-year degree with a Human Resources specialty or any combination of work experience with leadership responsibilities and HR coursework or certification
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Experience centering racial equity in their work and a commitment to JOIN’s goal of becoming an anti-racist organization
Core Competencies Needed/The Ability to:
- Agree that a commitment to equity and inclusion is fundamental to JOIN’s work
- Support and contribute to JOIN’s goal of becoming an anti-racist organization
- Understanding of anti-racist implications for HR and how to center anti-racism in HR practices
- Support and nurture a diverse and inclusive environment where all people feel welcomed
- Ability to think critically and creatively
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and maintain a sense of humor
- Be equally comfortable working independently and as a member of a team
Salary: $60,000 – $80,650 DOE
Full Time Non-exempt with employer paid Health Benefits (medical & dental benefits for employee and all dependents), employer paid Long and Short term disability benefit, employer paid $50,000 Life insurance, EAP, Flexible medical and dependent care plans, unmatched 403(b), flex plan, 10 days paid vacation, 168 hours PTO, 8 hours/mo, paid community involvement opportunity, 2 weeks paid parental leave, paid bereavement leave, paid trauma leave, and an 8 week paid sabbatical after 7 years of employment
How to Apply:
To be complete, applicants must send a resume, cover letter, and responses to the two questions below (as three separate documents), to [email protected] with “HR Director” in the subject line.
- JOIN is committed to becoming an anti-racist organization and dismantling white supremacy culture internally and externally. Please draw from your professional or lived experience in how this position at JOIN might contribute to that goal.
- Please describe your understanding of the causes of homelessness.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and answers to the above questions by Friday, November 29th at 5 PM. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission.