Position Description: Welcome Home Coalition Director
JOIN is seeking a dynamic leader to direct the continued work of the Welcome Home Coalition. Welcome Home is a coalition of organizations that actively pursues sources of new, significant and sustainable resources for affordable housing in the Portland metro area.
This individual will work closely with Welcome Home Coalition members, key stakeholders, elected officials, community groups and the general public to support policies that increase affordable housing supply and reduce homelessness. Additionally, this individual will secure ongoing sources of funding for the work of the coalition.
Services to be provided may include (but are not limited to):
• Identify and implement successful campaigns to advance housing policy proposals, including strong grasstops and grassroots mobilization plans.
• Work with Welcome Home Steering Committee members to coordinate programmatic and policy direction and strategy.
• Lead strategy for broad-based recruitment & participation of coalition members.
• Coordinate internal communication and decision-making with coalition members.
• Cultivate stakeholder and coalition member interest and investment in the Welcome Home Coalition.
• Conduct research and analysis of funding opportunities for affordable housing revenue and draft coalition proposals.
• Direct and implement development strategies to support coalition operations.
• Work with JOIN staff to coordinate communications, fundraising, and other logistics.
• Potential projects include leadership development, community engagement processes, and messaging to advance affordable housing.
• Coalition building skills; ability to draw on assets provided by diverse organizations and individuals, cultivating meaningful engagement
• Strong understanding of political strategy with elected officials and voters, and ability to navigate complex political landscapes
• Possess a deep understanding of systemic oppression and an internal commitment to actively challenging and dismantling systems of oppression in a strategic manner
• Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse stakeholders as defined by race, ethnicity, documentation status, income level, age, sexual orientation, and physical ability
• Experience with grassroots groups and campaign and organizing strategies
• Experience with housing and homelessness policy and/or anti-poverty issues
• Excellent facilitation skills
• Strong writing, editing, research, communications, and presentation skills
• Demonstrated experience managing a budget and fundraising
• Demonstrated experience with developing and implementing equity lenses to ensure meaningful participation of historically and presently marginalized groups
• Ability to travel occasionally
The ideal respondent should be able to demonstrate an understanding of affordable housing issues and the ability to articulate strategies and solutions for low-income and homeless people. Additionally, the ideal candidate would be able to perform topical research and have successful grant writing/fundraising experience.
This position will be based in Portland. For more information on Welcome Home, visit www.welcomehomecoalition.org.
Salary: $55,000 – $65,000 DOE, full-time exempt
Benefits: Compensation includes 10 paid holidays, 168 hours of paid time off (with annual increases to 208 hours at 5 years), 2 weeks paid parent leave, 8 week paid sabbatical after 7 years, health & dental benefits premiums 100% paid for employees and dependents, employer paid $50,000 life insurance as well as short and long term disability, flexible medical savings and dependent reimbursement accounts, Employee Assistance Program, and unmatched 403b plan participation available.
How to Apply:
To be complete, please submit to email@example.com (with “Welcome Home Coordinator” in the subject line) a resume and cover letter that addresses the following two questions:
• JOIN has a strong commitment to racial equity, and is working toward becoming an anti-racist organization. To that end, JOIN requires commitment to and participation in these efforts from all staff. Please reflect on your ability to contribute to these efforts.
• Please describe your experience and/or knowledge building, cultivating, and/or leading a coalition.
Position is open until Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 5pm. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission.