Position Description: Outreach Worker
JOIN (joinpdx.org) is a non-profit organization that exists to support the efforts individuals and families experiencing homelessness to transition off the streets and into permanent housing. We are inspired by the vision of a community where everyone has a place to call home. JOIN has an organizational commitment to equity and inclusion, and to ensure that programs and staff culture are equitable in both access and outcomes regardless of race, ethnicity, faith, culture, language, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or family status. JOIN is committed to pursuing effective strategies and devoting dedicated time and resources at every level of the organization to address disparities based on identity and to apply an equity lens to all decisions, programs, and policies.
Provide a consistent demonstration of JOIN’s values and mission in each contact with people experiencing homelessness. Build and nourish relationships, trust and support to promote the strengths and capabilities of people as they work to obtain permanent housing. This position will involve working on the west side of town.
- Experience working on issues related to poverty and homelessness
- Experience working effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Critical and creative thinking ability
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and maintain a sense of humor
- Must be highly organized
- Must be equally comfortable working independently and as a member of a team
- Must be well versed in using computers, social media and phones
- Apply an equity lens to work with staff, service users, volunteers, donors, and community partners
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct outreach services to people who are sleeping on the streets of Multnomah County. Outreach is defined as going to parks, bridge viaducts, forested areas, and other locations where people camp. Effective outreach often requires working non-traditional hours, including some evenings.
- Participate in severe weather outreach.
- Initiate and support processes that reduce harm to people experiencing homelessness and promote transition into permanent housing, including supporting access to needed services, employment, and housing opportunities.
- Emphasize a strength-based approach that supports individuals in their efforts to move off the street.
- Assist individuals with moving their belongings into and out of camps/apartments.
- Provide and maintain continuing support in collaboration with JOIN’s Retention Team to promote housing stabilization with new tenants for at least 12 months. This includes visiting new tenants and building constructive relationships with landlords.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with landlords, police, social service agencies, businesses, and neighborhood organizations. – help our folks navigate the system.
- Commit presence to 2-3 days per month as the outreach worker assigned to the Basic Service Center or “House”. Participate in worker of the day on the House.
- Maintain a timely and accurate narrative of contact with individuals experiencing homelessness, services provided, and efforts to transition off the street and retain housing.
- Work effectively with a diverse team of JOIN workers.
- Maintain and develop collaborative, responsive relationships with other JOIN teams.
- Engage in JOIN’s equity and anti-racist work at the full-staff, program-specific, and individual professional level.
- Apply an equity lens to work with staff, service users, volunteers, donors, and community partners.
Salary: $36,700 full-time exempt
How to Apply:
To be complete, email firstname.lastname@example.org a resume and cover letter that address the following two questions:
- Describe the core principles of the Housing First approach and how you see them guiding this work?
- JOIN has a strong commitment to racial equity, and is working toward becoming an anti-racist organization. To that end, JOIN requires commitment to and participation in these efforts from all staff. Please reflect on your ability to contribute to these efforts.
Position is open until filled. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission