Position Description: Landlord Recruitment and Retention Program Worker
JOIN (joinpdx.org) is a non-profit organization that exists to support the efforts individuals and families experiencing homelessness to transition off the streets and into permanent housing. We are inspired by the vision of a community where everyone has a place to call home.
JOIN has an organizational commitment to equity and inclusion, and to ensure that programs and staff culture are equitable in both access and outcomes regardless of race, ethnicity, faith, culture, language, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or family status. JOIN is committed to pursuing effective strategies and devoting dedicated time and resources at every level of the organization to address disparities based on identity and to apply an equity lens to all decisions, programs, and policies.
The Landlord Recruitment and Retention Program (LRRP) is a program of JOIN in partnership with A Home for Everyone. Workers need to be able to build authentic relationships and work effectively with people experiencing homelessness and landlords/property managers, regardless of their backgrounds, personal histories, and household composition, and be willing and able to engage people on the streets, in their homes, in community settings, and in our service facility. The LRRP program also serves multi-agency teams that partner with JOIN. This position will also be responsible to carry out some property management duties for properties master leased by JOIN.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Make a business case with private market landlords, management companies, and property managers to create new housing opportunities for individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with property managers and management companies to support housing stability and to create avenues for advocacy when a household’s tenancy is at risk.
- Collaborate with partner agencies and jurisdictional staff in recruitment strategies for hard to serve populations.
- Provide technical assistance, training, and support to partner agencies in best practices for relationship building and landlord support as well as housing retention services based on JOIN’s Retention model.
- Provide property management services and support along with LRRP coordinator as requested.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities, as required
- Engage in JOIN’s equity work at the individual, full staff, and program level.
Successful candidates will have:
- Demonstrated respect for the value of diversity and equity; Experience providing culturally specific services is preferred.
- Background with people experiencing homelessness or similar personal challenges.
- Outside sales experience a plus.
- Property management experience and knowledge of landlord/tenant law for Oregon (Washington desired as well) plus Fair Housing requirements.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.; position may involve regular moving of furniture into and out of vehicles and apartments as well as extended periods of driving and sitting.
- Ability to work with or learn computer data entry programs and familiarity with Office Suite software.
- Proficiency in more than one language, in addition to English, a plus.
Salary: $36,700 full-time exempt
Benefits: Compensation includes 10 paid holidays, 168 hours of paid time off (with annual increases to 208 hours at 5 years), 2 weeks paid parent leave, 8 week paid sabbatical after 7 years, health & dental benefits premiums 100% paid for employees and dependents, employer paid $50,000 life insurance as well as short and long term disability, flexible medical savings and dependent reimbursement accounts, Employee Assistance Program, and unmatched 403b plan participation available.
How to Apply:
To be complete, please submit to email@example.com (with “LRRP” in the subject line) a resume, cover letter, and separate document that addresses the following questions:
- JOIN has a strong commitment to racial equity, and is working toward becoming an anti-racist organization. To that end, JOIN requires commitment to and participation in these efforts from all staff. Please reflect on your ability to contribute to these efforts.
- How would you make the case to a landlord, property owner, or manager that they should work with the Landlord Recruitment and Retention Program? What strategies would you use?
- What fair housing issues do you think arise for people of color in apartments in Portland?
Position is open until Friday, March 22 at 5 PM. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission.