JOIN (joinpdx.org) is a non-profit organization that exists to support the efforts of individuals and families experiencing homelessness to transition off the streets and into permanent housing. We are inspired by the vision of a community where everyone has a place to call home.
JOIN has an organizational commitment to equity and inclusion, and to ensure that programs and staff culture are equitable in both access, experience, and outcomes regardless of race, ethnicity, faith, culture, language, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship or immigration status, sexual orientation or family status. JOIN is committed to pursuing effective strategies and devoting dedicated time and resources at every level of the organization to address disparities based on identity and to apply an equity lens to all decisions, programs, and policies in furthering JOIN’s commitment to become an anti-racist organization including dismantling white supremacy culture.
Position Description: Executive Director
JOIN’s 2019 annual budget is $9 million and draws on both public sector contracts and private funding sources. The agency currently employs 55 full time staff. The Executive Director provides overall leadership to the organization, working closely with the board, staff, and those seeking services to set and implement the organization’s strategic direction. The Executive Director is responsible for ensuring that JOIN remains true to its mission and values in all aspects of its work and is meeting its mission, provides a safe, supportive, and equitable working environment, meets its commitments to public and private funders, and is always evolving to meet the needs of people experiencing homelessness in our community.
Salary Range: $95,000 – $120,000
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Provide leadership for JOIN’s goal of becoming an anti-racist organization
- Center racial and ethnic justice in all aspects of JOIN’s internal and external work as well as personal interactions with service recipients, staff, partners, and funders
Work with the Board of Directors to maintain oversight of the organization
- Provide ongoing information, advice, and counsel to the Board of Directors about organizational programming and operations, including monthly Board meeting reports
- Helps lead Board recruitment and development efforts, including the promotion of JOIN’s equity work and staff led values within the Board, with a focus on recruiting and supporting people of color for Board of Directors
- Lead long-term strategic organizational development efforts, including staffing structure and compensation, programming, financial management, and physical infrastructure investments
Work with staff to ensure efficient operations
- Provide timely updates to staff (staff meetings, leadership meetings, monthly Director’s Board report)
- Work with Program Director to inspire team driven budgeting and program development
Provide leadership in community-level policy discussions
- Work for change through systemic advocacy, including dismantling white supremacy culture within those systems, as consistent with JOIN’s mission
- Participate and provide leadership in local, state, and as appropriate, federal policy discussions that affect the ability of people experiencing homelessness to make a successful and sustainable transition into permanent housing
- Provide supervision and support to the Welcome Home Coalition and serve as the JOIN representative on the Coalition Steering Committee
- In all things, remain focused not only as an advocate of JOIN’s programs, but to ensure just treatment of people while they are experiencing homelessness, expand and improve the services available to them to help them transition out of homelessness, and to ensure an adequate supply and array of housing and services to allow them to remain housed permanently
Support JOIN’s Resource Development efforts
- Identify and solicit potential public, private, and individual funders
- Present JOIN’s mission, vision, and program achievements to current and prospective funders through in-person and written communications
- Assist in the framing of JOIN’s message, it’s strategies for communicating with various segments of the funder/donor community, and the development of and presentation of program outcome data
- Direct Reports: Deputy Director, Program Director, Director of Equity and Inclusion, Development Director, Executive Assistant and Welcome Home Coalition Director
Education, Experience, Core Competencies or Qualities:
- Professional or lived experience in culturally specific or relevant service provision is required
- Demonstrated record of senior level leadership, experience with HR responsibilities a plus
- Demonstrated success building relationships and collaborative efforts with individuals and communities of diverse races, ethnicities, faiths, cultures, languages, disabilities, genders, gender identities, gender expressions, citizenship or immigration statuses, sexual orientations, family statuses, and economic backgrounds, including people experiencing homelessness
- Visionary perspective to support, protect, and enhance JOIN’s mission
- Strong networking and public speaking skills
- Excellent facilitation and mediation skills
- Proficiency reading and evaluating financial statements
- Strong fundraising track record and familiarity with both private and public processes and sources and a commitment to one on one donor stewardship
- Program design, implementation, evaluation, and data-driven decision making experience
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Commitment to non-judgmental, non-violent and holistic responses to the communities JOIN serves
- Professional or lived experience with an assertive engagement approach, or something similar, is a plus
Specific physical and mental performing elements:
- Adept at communicating with people seeking services who may themselves have different communication needs or preferences or who are experiencing crisis or trauma
- Ability to navigate a chaotic environment and effectively address crisis with poise
- Comfort responding to media requests and public speaking to diverse audiences
Full Time Non-exempt position w/employer paid Health Benefits (medical & dental benefits for employee and all dependents), employer paid Long and Short term disability benefit, employer paid $50,000 Life insurance, EAP, Flexible medical and dependent care plans, unmatched 403(b), flex plan, 10 days paid vacation, 168 hours PTO, 8 hours/mo, paid community involvement opportunity, 2 weeks paid parental leave, 1 week paid bereavement leave, 2 days paid trauma leave, and an 8 week paid sabbatical after 7 years of employment.
How to apply:
Applicants must send a resume, cover letter, and answer the following questions each in a separate document to [email protected] Please put “Executive Director Position” in the subject line. Position closes November 8, 2019.
- JOIN has a commitment to work toward becoming an anti-racist organization. Please explain your understanding of what an anti-racist organization is and what that commitment means for the Executive Director role.
- As a housing organization, our work centers houseless people at both an institutional and an individual level. In a few sentences, please explain your understanding of the causes of homelessness, and how you have come to that understanding
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual.