JOIN is a leading homeless services agency focused on street outreach and housing placement in the Portland Metro Area, serving Multnomah and Washington Counties. Our mission is to transition people out of homelessness, and into permanent housing. Our model is based on Housing First.
We are seeking a development professional who has experience working on issues related to poverty, homelessness and/or racial equity to lead our development team to execute a strong fundraising strategy to support our operations. This position is responsible for all private revenue raised at JOIN, directs JOIN’s fundraising activities, and supervises the Development Associate and VISTA Volunteer Coordinator.
Reports to: Executive Director
$74,000 – $95,000 annually (full-time exempt), dependent on experience
- Lead and build the capacity of the development team and other leadership to raise $1.0M+ per year
- Create and direct efforts around JOIN’s Annual Development Plan, including targeted efforts toward individual donors, major donors, donor-advised opportunities, volunteers, in-kind donations, corporate sponsorships, planned giving, and grant cycles
- Manage and supervise monthly audits between Quickbooks and donor database.
- Generate private revenue reports as required by funders, JOIN’s finance department, and the board
- Co-lead organizational budget development or programs, including revenue projections at multiple levels of the organization
- Lead and grow the development team to identify, cultivate and steward 1200+ individual and 70+ business donors through a variety of means including events, one-on-one visits, site visits, appeals, campaigns, etc.
- During Covid-19, increased activity around call, email, and digital communication and engagement opportunities to maintain donor relationships
- Manage grant calendar, write foundation and corporate grants and reports, and perform targeted grant research
- Support grant activities to meet deliverables of proposals, support staff in developing tracking mechanisms for grant reporting
- Plan and execute all fundraising events including 2 major fundraising events as well as small events throughout the year.
- During Covid 19, manage digital fundraising Peer to Peer campaigns and live digital events.
- Act as a primary liaison and support to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors regarding all fundraising activities.
- Supervise and support the development team, including a fundraising strategy to increase team capacity
- Supervise production of donor correspondence including gift acknowledgments, thank yous, and tax letters
- Supervise and support the professional development of the VISTA Volunteer Coordinator
- Support individual supporters, participants, and Board members in developing individual donor fundraising skills
- Support a culture of ethical storytelling among staff and leadership at JOIN.
- Produce and/or draft copy for engaging fundraising materials, newsletters, annual report, collateral materials, and email updates.
- Represent JOIN in the community; facilitate and participate in public speaking opportunities
- 2+ years of non-profit development experience, at least 1 year of supervisory duties is a plus
- Strong writing, editing and organizational skills.
- Microsoft Office Suite software and google platform proficiency.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Customer Relations Management software, DonorPerfect is a plus
- Experience working on issues related to poverty, homelessness and equity.
- Experience working effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Enthusiasm for fundraising.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical and creative thinking ability.
- Highly organized.
- Ability to self-start, multitask, meet deadlines, and maintain a sense of humor.
- Ability to work with websites and social media platforms, including WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and Instagram.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks and donor management software.
- Must be equally comfortable working independently and as a member of a team.
- Supervisory experience is a plus.
Benefits: Full Time Non-exempt position with option for 100% paid employer paid Health Benefits (medical & dental benefits for employee and all dependents), employer paid Long and Short term disability benefit, employer paid $50,000 Life insurance, EAP, Flexible medical and dependent care plans, unmatched 403(b), flex plan, 10 days paid vacation and paid Winter Holiday Week (Dec 24 – Jan 2), 160 hours PTO, 8 hours/mo, paid community involvement opportunity, 2 weeks paid parental leave, 1 week paid bereavement leave, 3 days paid trauma leave, and an 8 week paid sabbatical after 7 years of employment.
How to Apply: CLICK HERE TO APPLY
To be complete, applications must include a resume, a writing sample (one page or less). You also must answer the supplemental questions below. During the interview process, candidates should be prepared to share a sample of their development and/or communications portfolio.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission.