Outreach Worker Position (North and NorthEast Portland)
Full Time Non-exempt: $34,000 w/employer paid Health Benefits (medical & dental benefits for employee and all dependents), employer paid Long and Short term disability benefit, employer paid $50,000 Life insurance, 403(b), flex plan, 10 days paid holidays, 160 hours PTO, 8 hours/mo paid community involvement program).
JOIN (joinpdx.org) is a non-profit organization that exists to support the efforts of homeless individuals and families to transition off the streets and into permanent housing. We are inspired by the vision of a community where everyone has a place to call home.
Outreach Workers engage people on the streets, in their camps, in our service facility, and in their apartments once they have transitioned off the streets. Successful candidates will be able to build authentic relationships and work effectively with people regardless of their backgrounds, personal histories, or household composition.
- Provide direct outreach services to people who are sleeping on the streets of Multnomah County. Outreach is defined as going to parks, bridge viaducts, forested areas, and other locations where people camp
- Facilitate access to external services like employment, health care, and/or addiction treatment
- Visit tenants and build relationship with landlords to provide to promote housing stabilization
- Support JOIN’s deep commitment to Equity and actively participate in trainings and discussion as JOIN works to implement our equity work plan
Successful candidates will have:
- Experience with and/or knowledge of homelessness, its causes, and barriers to ending it
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage people through JOIN’s relationship model
- Driver’s license and the ability to operate a vehicle, including larger cargo and moving style vehicles
- Required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. with frequent bending and kneeling as well as standing for long periods and routinely climbing and descending stairs
- Employment conditional upon results of criminal background screening. Individual assessments will be made for persons with legal histories
Candidate preference but not required:
- Additional language skill – Spanish and or ASL
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and a full job description visit www.joinpdx.org. Applicants must send a resume and cover letter, as an attachment, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions are open until filled. In order to be considered, your cover letter must respond to the following questions:
- Describe how you have worked across cultures and provided culturally specific or relevant services to communities of color; and
- Describe the core principles of the Housing First approach and how you see them guiding this work.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission.