JOIN (joinpdx.org) is a non-profit organization that exists to support the efforts individuals and families experiencing homelessness to transition off the streets and into permanent housing. We are inspired by the vision of a community where everyone has a place to call home.
JOIN has an organizational commitment to equity and inclusion, and to ensure that programs and staff culture are equitable in both access and outcomes regardless of race, ethnicity, faith, culture, language, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or family status.
The Landlord Recruitment and Retention Program (LRRP) is a program of JOIN in partnership with A Home for Everyone. Workers need to be able to build authentic relationships and work effectively with people experiencing homelessness and landlords/property managers, regardless of their backgrounds, personal histories, and household composition, and be willing and able to engage people on the streets, in their homes, in community settings, and in our service facility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Make a business case with private market landlords, management companies, and property managers to create new housing opportunities for individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with property managers and management companies to support housing stability and to create avenues for advocacy when a household’s tenancy is at risk.
- Collaborate with partner agencies and jurisdictional staff in recruitment strategies for hard to serve populations.
- Provide technical assistance, training, and support to partner agencies in best practices for relationship building and landlord support as well as housing retention services based on JOIN’s Retention model.
- Engage in JOIN’s equity work at the individual, full staff, and program level
Education, Experience, Qualities, or Specialized Training
- Demonstrated respect for the value of diversity and equity; Experience providing culturally specific services is preferred.
- Background with people experiencing homelessness or similar personal challenges.
- Outside sales experience
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.; position may involve regular moving of furniture into and out of vehicles and apartments as well as extended periods of driving and sitting.
- Proficiency in more than one language, in addition to English, a plus. Vietnamese or Russian preferred.
- Full Time Non-exempt: $34,000 w/employer paid Health Benefits (medical & dental benefits for employee and all dependents), employer paid Long and Short term disability benefit, employer paid $50,000 Life insurance, unmatched 403(b), flex plan, 10 days paid vacation, 168 hours PTO, 8 hours/mo paid community involvement program, 2 weeks paid parental leave, paid bereavement leave, telecommuting opportunities, and an 8 week paid sabbatical after 7 years of employment.
How to Submit an Application
Send a cover letter and resume, as an attachment with your name included in the file, to email@example.com Incomplete applications will not be processed. This posting will remain open until position is filled.
As a second attachment NOT in your cover letter, please address the following two questions:
- How would you make the case to a landlord, property owner, or manager that they should work with the Landlord Recruitment and Retention Program? What strategies would you use?
- What fair housing issues do you think arise for people of color in apartments in Portland?
An electronic acknowledgement will be sent upon application submission. Please do not contact JOIN unless you submitted an application and it was not acknowledged. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission.