Position Description: Executive Assistant
JOIN (joinpdx.org) is a non-profit organization that exists to support the efforts individuals and families experiencing homelessness to transition off the streets and into permanent housing. We are inspired by the vision of a community where everyone has a place to call home.
JOIN has an organizational commitment to equity and inclusion, and to ensure that programs and staff culture are equitable in both access and outcomes regardless of race, ethnicity, faith, culture, language, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or family status. JOIN is committed to pursuing effective strategies and devoting dedicated time and resources at every level of the organization to address disparities based on identity and to apply an equity lens to all decisions, programs, and policies.
This position is administrative with a focus on assisting the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Development and Communications Director, and the Equity Coordinator. To be successful in this role, you should be proactive, meet deadlines and communicate effectively. Our ideal candidate also has previous experience as an Executive Assistant and is familiar with office management technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Senior Staff by coordinating calendars, managing deadlines, forwarding messages, making travel arrangements and facilitating internal communication (e.g. distribute information and schedule presentations)
- Schedule meetings and secure venues for events and other similar activities, including monthly staff retreat and board meetings and annual board/staff retreat
- Prepare organizational agendas, presentations and correspondences – including MOUs, subcontracts, and funding match letters.
- Support edits, signatures, documentation, and submission of grants and government contracts, including HUD, Cities of Portland and Gresham, and Multnomah County
- Provide comprehensive support for hiring processes – job description edits, posting, clerical support for hiring committee, arrange interviews and conduct reference checks
- Prepare new employee packets and conduct benefits enrollment as appropriate
Develop efficient office systems and troubleshoot basic equipment malfunctions
- Review company policies and monitor contradictions (practice vs policy)
- Train and supervise Administrative Assistant
- Engage in JOIN’s equity and anti-racist work at the full-staff, program-specific, and individual professional level
- Apply an equity lens to work with staff, service users, volunteers, donors, and community partners
- Experience working on issues related to poverty and homelessness
- Experience working effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Critical and creative thinking ability
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and maintain a sense of humor
- Must be highly organized
- Must be equally comfortable working independently and as a member of a team
Core Competencies needed / the ability to:
- Knowledge of office procedure best practice
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with office management systems, ERPs, MS Office, social media, and phone systems
- Familiarity with online calendars and cloud systems
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to think proactively and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven capacity to work as part of a team in stressful situations; maintain composure and sense of humor in the face of heavy workload and constant interruptions
- Ability to troubleshoot common hardware/software issues
- Ability to quickly gain new skills and knowledge when faced with new challenges, i.e. strong Google-fu
- Proven work experience as a Senior Executive Assistant, Executive Administrative Assistant or similar role. Additional qualifications as Personal Assistant or Secretary are a plus
- Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive company information
Salary: $40,000 full-time exempt
Benefits: Compensation includes 10 paid holidays, 168 hours of paid time off (with annual increases to 208 hours at 5 years), 2 weeks paid parent leave, 8 week paid sabbatical after 7 years, health & dental benefits premiums 100% paid for employees and dependents, employer paid $50,000 life insurance as well as short and long term disability, flexible medical savings and dependent reimbursement accounts, Employee Assistance Program, and unmatched 403b plan participation available.
How to Apply:
To be complete, applications must include a writing sample related to funding/contracts, resume and a cover letter that addresses the following two questions:
- Please describe your understanding of the causes of homelessness.
- JOIN has a strong commitment to racial equity, and is working toward becoming an anti- racist organization. To that end, JOIN requires commitment to and participation in these efforts from all staff. Please reflect on your ability to contribute to these efforts.
Applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until Friday, July 6th at 5pm. An electronic acknowledgement will be sent upon application submission. Please do not contact JOIN unless you submitted an application and it was not acknowledged. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission.