Full Job Description – Development & Communications Director
Reports to: Executive Director
JOIN – connecting the street to a home is a leading homeless street outreach and housing placement organization in Portland, OR. We are seeking an individual who has experience working on issues related to poverty, homelessness and/or racial equity to perform a wide variety of development and communication activities. This position will manage JOIN’s fundraising activities, including supporting the efforts of the Executive Director and Deputy Director, as well as supervise the Development Associate and VISTA Volunteer Coordinator.
- Draft JOIN’s Annual Development Plan and with the support of the team, manage all development activities in reference to this plan
- Manage JOIN’s Major Donor program, including creating and implementing major donor stewardship strategies and techniques
- Identify, cultivate and steward individual and business donors through a variety of means including events, one-on-one visits, appeals, campaigns, etc.
- Manage grant calendar, write foundation and corporate grants and reports, and perform targeted grant research
- Plan and execute all fundraising events including 2 major fundraising events as well as small events throughout the year
- Act as a primary liason and support to the Board of Directors regarding all fundraising activities
- Supervise Development Associate
- Supervise production of donor correspondence including gift acknowledgements, thank yous, and tax letters
- Supervise VISTA Volunteer Coordinator and organization’s efforts to recruit, engage and steward volunteers
- Support fundraising activities of the Welcome Home Coalition (an organization fiscally sponsored by JOIN)
- Produce and/or draft copy for engaging fundraising materials, newsletters, collateral materials, and email updates
- Collect, write, and share compelling success stories through written materials and social media
- Manage organization’s adherence to brand identity guide
- Represent JOIN in the community; facilitate and participate in public speaking opportunities
- Manage organizational website content and ongoing updates
- Manage relationships with contractors/vendors re: graphic design, website management, email marketing, printing, database management, etc.
- Assist with the development and management of media list and relations
- Experience working on issues related to poverty, homelessness and equity
- Experience working effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Enthusiasm for fundraising
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Critical and creative thinking ability
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and maintain a sense of humor
- Highly organized
- Must be equally comfortable working independently and as a member of a team
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years development experience
- Strong writing, editing and organizational skills
- Microsoft Office Suite software proficiency
- Familiarity with QuickBooks, Adobe Creative Suite, and donor management software
- Ability to work with websites and social media platforms, including Word Press, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Previous work with media a plus
- Supervisory experience a plus
Salary: $50,000-$60,000 full-time exempt, commensurate with experience
Benefits: Compensation includes 10 paid holidays, 168 hours of paid time off (with annual increases to 208 hours at 5 years), 2 weeks paid parent leave, 8 week paid sabbatical after 7 years, health & dental benefits premiums 100% paid for employees and dependents, employer paid $50,000 life insurance as well as short and long term disability, flexible medical savings and dependent reimbursement accounts, Employee Assistance Program, and unmatched 403b plan participation available.
How to Apply:
To be complete, applications must include a resume, a writing sample (separate from your cover letter, one page or less), and a cover letter that addresses the following two questions:
- Why are you excited about fundraising for JOIN?
- JOIN has a strong commitment to racial equity, and is working toward becoming an anti- racist organization. To that end, JOIN requires commitment to and participation in these efforts from all staff. Please reflect on your ability to contribute to these efforts.
Applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on 6/8/18. An electronic acknowledgement will be sent upon application submission. Please do not contact JOIN unless you submitted an application and it was not acknowledged. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOIN values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. On behalf of the board, staff, and people we serve at JOIN, thank you for your interest in supporting our mission.